Thursday, January 31, 2008

A great start in a small world

Would you Adam and Eve it.... (actually its Helen)

So I ask my network of clients and associates for suggestions for a local charity to support as I have entered this mad boat race thingy with a crazy bunch collectively know as the Wolfgang. A relatively new client of mine, (whose name is Adam), suggests that I speak with his wife, (her name is Helen, not Eve).

Helen is a matron at the Bristol Childrens hospital and manages the oncology, bone marrow and transplant units. The hospital is doing great work for the children in its care and is apparently due to be nominated as a centre of excellence in the UK.

I give her a call, tell her about the race and she tells me about the holistic support services unit that provides a variety of alternative treatments, primarily massage, to her patients varying in age from babies to teenagers. The positive effects of this service in improving the quality of the childrens time in hospital and sometimes their short lives cannot be overstated. Unbelievably however, the whole service is funded purely by charitable donations. They need in excess of £20,000 per annum just to maintain the current levels of the service which is available for only 15 hours per week but with additional funding they would extend the service.

Well how could I say no, they are now my nominated charity.

And then we get an email from John Price the man who is building Wolf our boat and I quote;

"I looked at your charity page and noted that you are supporting Bristol. This is great as our eldest child had a very very much life saving open heart there some 18 years ago. As a family and company we do make a number of significant donations a year and this whole thing seems to tie together whereby we would love to donate £1000 to you fund."

A big thanks to John..... A great start in a small world.

No comments: